Please use symbol entry at top right of page to search

Burkina search teams hope to find eight workers trapped almost a month in flooded mine

By Anne Mimault

OUAGADOUGOU, May 11 (Reuters) - Rescue teams pumping water from a flooded Burkina Faso zinc mine in which eight workers have been trapped for almost a month are drawing closer to a refuge chamber where they might have sought safety, the government said on Wednesday, as anxious relatives maintain hope.

The six Burkina Faso nationals, one Tanzanian and one Zambian have been missing since heavy rainfall caused flash floods at Canada-based Trevali Mining Corp's (TVLMF) Perkoa mine on April 16, forcing it to suspend operations.

The company said that while most workers underground were able to safely evacuate, the eight missing were below Level 520, which is 520 metres (1,706 feet) from the surface, at the time of the flooding.

There are two refuge chambers located around Level 570 designed in case miners become trapped, but it is not known whether any of the missing workers had been able to reach them.

Burkina Faso's government spokesman Lionel Bilgo on Wednesday said that over 38.7 million litres of water had been removed, leaving 10 metres of water above a refuge chamber stocked with three weeks' worth of food and water.

"The air vent is still working so that allows us to keep hope," Bilgo told reporters on his way out of a council meeting.

"It is a race against time," he said.

Trevali did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Bilgo's update.

Distraught family members have meanwhile been meeting each day at the site in central Burkina Faso's Sanguie province for updates and moral support.

"It is not easy," Antoine Bama, the brother of one of the missing workers, told Reuters.

"The more the number of days increases the more anguish there is," he said via telephone.

Burkina Faso's government has launched a judicial probe into the incident and said last week that mine managers would be banned from leaving the country while investigations were underway.

Trevali is also working to determine the cause of the accident.

"We initially underestimated the scale of the catastrophe" said Ditil Moussa Palenfo, country director of Nantou Mining, the Trevali entity that owns Perkoa. "There is still a lot to do" to reach the refuge chamber, he added. (Reporting by Anne Mimault; Writing by Sofia Christensen)

Copyright © Reuters 2008. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

News, commentary and research reports are from third-party sources unaffiliated with Fidelity. Fidelity does not endorse or adopt their content. Fidelity makes no guarantees that information supplied is accurate, complete, or timely, and does not provide any warranties regarding results obtained from their use.